Huh? - Behind the Scenes of 'LANdR' (Part One)


This is the first of a 3 part series of interviews. Some questions were from fans...some were from the press...and others were from the guest artists on the new album.

1) Did you all get a chance to work with everyone you wanted to on the project? Or were there even set "prospects" of who you all wanted on the album that were discussed during the planning stages? Was there even a "planning stage"...or did you two just like...turn on the keyboard and the mic and say "GO!"?

Colin - The individuals we had the absolute pleasure of working with on this album were with very little consideration. We basically knew, dependent upon the song, who we would be propositioning for the feature. Unfortunately, there were a couple people we wish we could have arranged to be a part and also some people that were a part of the project, but due to the flow of the album we had to alter or remove but for the most part feel everyone on this project was meant to be there. 

Raze - Ultimately, everyone that ended up on the album was just meant to be. Not to sound cliche' but, where we were going, what we wanted to do...all the pieces just FIT. Nothing was forced for the sake of making a feature work. Now, there admittedly were a few artists I was really interested in getting on this album, for different reasons tho. I would've loved to have gotten the Yo Dot joint to fit somewhere, but that's gonna be fresh as f*ck anyway, so it'll definitely find it's way outta the DR (DangrRoom) sometime. I was hoping to link up with Proph on a joint too. I think most of all tho, I wanted to work with Mike Carpenter (aka MJ Carps) more than we did. Honestly, I love the "*****" joint, so at least we got him on the album as a bonus track. But after the magic of "Thinking out Loud" from "...STILL" I really wanted to do something more. But, that's what we got other albums/EPs for, right?

2) Before the recording process began, was there a desired "sound" you two were looking to achieve? If so, do you feel it was accomplished?

C - As for a desired sound I can honestly answer no. We have with the last two projects had the awesome experience and ability to grow and write and produce and simply stack together a sound that feels so good to us. And hopefully yall too.

R - As an engineer/producer, I just wanted this album to sound like Colin. What I mean by that is, I wanted the overall sound & feel of the album to fit his vocal style. He's got a crazy unique vibe that's so soulful and free spirited, yet kinda backwoods kuntree...but also really NEW SCHOOL. It's wild, so I wanted the record to FEEL like how he sounds. I wanted to get digital crispiness, but to also somehow keep the dirt of analog/tape saturation. I think if I didn't nail it, I got cot damned close. I'm happy and feel we knocked it out.

3) In relation to "...Still Untitled" (if it can be compared at all in your opinions), what elements are still there? What elements are not? Was anything purposely added or removed to make it sound similar or different?

C - Our back and forth chemistry is and always will be still there. There is a lot of behind the scenes banter that STILL exists and helps create the free feeling music I feel we make. 

R - I think the growth between albums makes this kinda tough to answer, for me. I feel the production value is still there and enhanced; the care and build of ideas into songs. But I also feel this album has more overall thematic cohesion. The first album was really helter skelter, and it was conceived that way. But this one definitely has more consistency from a topics standpoint. Oh, and THE DRUMS. Any track we produce or co-produce must have ill drums. 

4) Is there, as it was so eloquently put before by Raze.....a "pussy song"?

C - ....pussy song???? Hmmm, Raze is there???

R - LMAO...I think we accomplished a feat many artists never do: Record an entire album without a pussy song. Oh...wait..."*****" is a bonus track, so technically it's not on the "album", but ya'll still get to hear it. So I dunno, does that count? LOL

5) What was the process that you guys used when determining the order the songs are listed/arranged for the new album?

R - Really we wanted to start different, so people from JUMPOFF knew "we're not in Still Untitled mode anymore!", so 'Remedy/Wake Up' was a no brainer. From there, everything else just kinda fell together by feel. I think our consistent theme and/or concept writing, made it easier for us to tell stories within songs and tie together songs with the many musical change ups.

C - Order is a long, long.....long process that takes a lot of feeling and emotion to compile. I can only say this; only once a project is finished can it be considered. 

6) Was having Colin sing more in this album (as opposed to rapping) something that happened naturally or was that a goal?

C - I can honestly say hip hop will be the base of almost everything I create, however...with working with Raze and Ed (of The Hollowz), I have found a voice that I was somewhat unaware that I had. And I really like the feeling of writing this way.

R - I think it was definitely natural. Contrary to what some people have asked before, we really don't put a whole lot of thought into our creative process. At least 75% of what we do is based on FEEL and EMOTION. So, listening to how melodic his writing was on "...Still untitled", and before that "DOSAF", I think it was only a matter of time until his singing came to life. But, really I think that's also something that gets misconstrued of him singing now. Even when he "raps" his cadences and delivery are melodic, in his own unique way. So him "singing more" isn't really a stretch or focal point. It's just what certain songs end up calling for. It's another weapon in the L&R arsenal that some of our "peers" don't have the ability to bite. LOL

7) What was the goal of this album as a whole and how did that macro vision affect the creative process of individual songs? 

R - Speaking personally, the goal of this album, was to solidify both of us as "not just Hip Hop artists or rappers". Both of us have really sprawling and expanding interests musically outside of Hip Hop, so I think this album was more about expanding our sound and subject matter accordingly; making a more personal album while simultaneously making it more globally digestible. We've got music ADD like a muthaf*cka, and I think that's definitely reflected in the soundscape of this record.

C - Outside of sheer awesomeness there was no goal.


TUNE IN NEXT WEEK FOR PART TWO!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment